OLLI at UNC Asheville organizes several unique programs for Asheville locals and newcomers, including:
- Leadership Asheville Seniors—a learning and civic engagement program planned and led by its graduates and community members—provides a multi-faceted view of Asheville and Buncombe County. Through discussions with community leaders in distinctive venues, newcomers and longtime residents alike can gain new perspectives and consider ways to contribute their diverse experiences and talents for the good of the community.
- Exploring Continuing Care Retirement Communities: CCRCs are an attractive residential option for active older adults. CCRCs offer a full continuum of independent housing, assisted living and skilled nursing care within a single campus setting. In the Asheville area there are a variety of these kinds of communities, each with a different financial model, various health and wellness options and services, and varied amenities. Navigating your way through all of the choices to find a community that is right for you can be a challenge.
- The Gift of Time program will encourage you to think about how to plan and communicate your end of life wishes to spouses, partners, children and parents. Take control of what you want for yourself and help others address the myriad issues that face all of us in times of crisis.
In addition, we offer two national programs:
- Paths to Creative Retirement (Paths), held twice each year, helps participants create meaningful retirement based on their values and priorities. Sessions are facilitated by trained OLLI members in large and small groups.
- The Creative Retirement Exploration Weekend (CREW) focuses specifically on relocating in retirement—whether to Asheville or anywhere else. Our optional Sunday program is for those who are considering Asheville for relocation.
Email us for additional questions or if you would like to have your name added to the interest list for 2021-2022 programs.