Please note that during COVID-19, many membership benefits have changed because OLLI is observing protocols to prevent the spread of COVID-19. A mask or face covering is required to enter the Reuter Center, and registration and attendance for any face-to-face OLLI class or event serves as attestation that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Your gateway to the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at UNC Asheville (OLLI) and events is annual membership. A fee of $75 covers the period of August 1, 2021 to July 31, 2022. Visit the OLLI online registration page to sign up for membership.
- Access to College for Seniors, a lifelong learning program offering courses during four terms: Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer. Starting in Fall 2021 we will be offering courses both in-person at the Reuter Center and online.
- Special Events and Socials: Learning and community-building can happen as you share in a musical presentation, attend a lecture or participate in other activities. The Member Engagement Committee plans membership events and socials for all members to become better acquainted. While we will not be gathering in person during the pandemic, we will be enjoying online gatherings where you can see friends, listen to music, and enjoy some of the benefits of being part of our community of teachers and learners.
- Fab Friday Lectures are a lunchtime speaker series which are held during Fall, Winter and Spring terms. While we will not be meeting weekly this fall, we do have some great programs planned. Read more about Fab Fridays, and check the Calendar for a list of lectures for the current term.
- Health Education Series Lectures, part of the Fab Friday series, highlight speakers who focus on health-related topics. Medical professionals discuss topics to promote health and wellness for people in life’s second half.
- Shared Interest Groups: Shared Interest Groups (SIGs) are member-led groups who gather to pursue shared interests. Anyone who is a member of OLLI may participate at no additional cost.
- OLLI Observer Email Newsletter: Our weekly electronic newsletter lists upcoming events and other interesting developments at OLLI and in the community that are of particular interest to OLLI members.
- Health and Fitness Center Membership: In order to maintain appropriate distance in recreation facilities, our Campus Recreation facilities are closed to OLLI members during the pandemic. We look forward to being able to offer Health and Fitness Center Memberships again soon. Watch for more details some time after September 1, 2021.
- Campus Parking: Parking decals are required for all parking lots on the UNC Asheville campus including areas adjacent to the Reuter Center. Parking decals should be displayed on the rear window of your car. The parking decal allows the user to park on campus; follow the designated signs at each parking lot. OLLI members may park in non-resident parking lots which include P1, P2, P8, P9 (top level only), P10, P11, P12, P21, P22, P26, P28 and P31. OLLI members may park in Faculty/Staff lots from 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. Monday through Friday, on weekends and on UNC Asheville recognized holidays. For the 2021-2022 year, OLLI members may purchase a decal for $100 through the OLLI registration system (you can find complete instructions for using the vehicle registration site in the bottom left of the page under “Helpful Links”), then follow instructions through the UNC Asheville Transportation Office vehicle registration system. Beginning August 10, 2021, members who have paid for 2021-2022 OLLI membership and registered their vehicles may come to the Reuter Center to pick up decals or to get help with vehicle registration.
- OLLIChat: OLLIChat is an optional email distribution list run by OLLI volunteers and available to current OLLI members only. People using OLLIChat exchange general information or ask for and send recommendations or referrals. For more information, please email OLLIChatAVL@gmail.com, and a volunteer will reply and send you an invitation.
- OneCards: Once you become an OLLI member, you may obtain your official UNC Asheville photo ID OneCard on the ground floor of Highsmith Union in room 120. The process takes only a few minutes. With a OneCard you may receive UNC Asheville discounts at local businesses and at university special events. If you obtain an annual Passport sticker for your OneCard through UNC Asheville Police, you may ride Asheville Transit at no cost. Questions? Call the OneCard office at 828.251.6767 Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.). There is a replacement fee of $25 for all lost OneCards. Please note that you do not need to obtain a OneCard to participate in OLLI programs.
- Library Use: The OneCard serves as your library card. Visit the Ramsey Library website to find out more about services available to OLLI members. During the pandemic, OLLI members may request books and other circulating materials from Ramsey Library for curbside pick-up on Tuesdays and Thursdays 1-4 p.m. This schedule is subject to change; you may find hours and schedule updates on Ramsey Library’s “Hours and Calendar” page.
- Wireless (WiFi): When the Reuter Center is open, and if your laptop or PDA is set up for wireless internet, you can use it with the OLLI network within the Reuter Center. The current password will be posted in the office and in individual classrooms.
- Reuter Center Singers: The Reuter Center Singers serve as goodwill ambassadors at a variety of venues in Asheville and surrounding communities. There is a fee for participation in the group. We are still investigating the risks and possibilities of the group gathering when we resume face-to-face activities in Fall 2021.